Finance Operations Line Manager
Virginia Community College System - Shared Services Center
Thank you for considering Virginia Community College System in
Virginia Community College System:
Virginia’s Community Colleges were created more than 50 years ago
to address Virginia’s unmet needs in higher education and workforce training.
With its mission to give everyone the opportunity to learn and develop the
right skills so lives and communities are strengthened, the VCCS works to
provide world class services that foster and expand access to exemplary
learning experiences for all by expanding access, providing affordability,
supporting student success, expanding workforce development training, and
securing resources to achieve its goals.
The SSC supports the VCCS mission by providing excellent customer
service and effective and efficient administrative services to the 23 community
colleges and System office. These services include common and routine
administrative functions in the areas of human resources, fiscal services,
payroll, and procurement, with the intent to use economies of scale and
specialized expertise to support its customers.
Finance Operations provides the VCCS, comprised of the 23
community colleges, System Office, and Shared Services, with processes relating
to fiscal services including collections, travel and expense reimbursement, and
accounts payable. In addition, Finance Operations maintain integrity of the
financial operations of the SSC. This includes budget planning and execution,
general accounting and reporting, accounts receivable, payroll accounting and
reporting, travel and expense reimbursement, capital outlay and fixed asset
accounting, cash management operations, and financial records retention.
Finance Operations Line Manager oversees the fiscal services
provided to the 23 colleges, System Office, and Shared Services including but
not limited to accounts payable, travel and expense reimbursement, and
collections. Responsible for the planning, implementation, and direction of all
fiscal and accounting policy and procedures for the SSC. Responsible for the
management of accounts payable, collections, travel and expense reimbursement,
and agency accounting functions of the SSC.
· Position manages SSC financial services area, providing
leadership, training, day-to-day supervision and performance management, and
development opportunities to the staff.
· Ensures applicable service level agreements and performance
expectations are met for respective areas.
· Coordinates daily processes and provides examples of best business
practices as needed.
· Directs efforts to streamline and problem solve operations related
to financial services.
· Ensure accounts payable transactions are processed in accordance
with the CAPP manual.
· Ensure travel and expense transactions are approved in accordance
with the CAPP manual.
· Ensure collections are handled in accordance with contract and
· Ensure agency fiscal responsibilities are handled according to
accounting policy and procedure.
· Ensure strong internal controls are in place and appropriate
documentation is maintained.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited institution; or
equivalent education, experience, and training which has resulted in
intermediate to advanced knowledge of accounting and general accepted
· Multiyear experience in supervising accounting and other fiscal
· Proven expertise in management and supervisory practices;
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff in development of
knowledge, skills, and abilities;
· Significant knowledge of accounting policies and practices and
demonstrated ability to interpret policies and transfer that knowledge to
· Significant knowledge of contemporary processing operations in an
automated environment and ability to transfer those skills to staff;
· Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative,
handle multiple competing priorities, and attend to detail while maintaining a
· Demonstrated ability to adjust staffing assignments to rapidly
· Demonstrated ability to think creatively, objectively and to work
to continuously improve business processes and to transfer those skills to
· Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies and
· Demonstrated ability to provide customer service to internal and
external customers in a professional manner and to transfer those attributes to
· Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze data and draw sound
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with matrix
reporting relationships and multiple and varied functional customers;
· Strong technical and functional knowledge of and experience in
fiscal operations, policy and procedure;
· Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and if
applicable, through presentations;
· Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
· Demonstrated knowledge to document and implement internal control
· Ability to develop, execute, measure and continuously improve
fiscal operations (accounts payable, travel and expense, and collections)
· Proven expertise working in procure-to-pay environment;
· Proven competency in collaboration and team work;
· Expertise working with diverse populations in multiple locations;
· Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and
achieve common goals;
· Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed;
· Ability to keep confidentiality;
· Willingness and desire to stay on the forefront of fiscal
operations best practice;
· Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the
· Expertise in MS Office products;
· Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as
needed - approximately 10%.
· Graduate degree in accounting or business administration;
· CPA preferred;
· Experience in higher education and/or state government, and large
· Experience in a shared services center environment;
· Six Sigma, Lean, or similar training;
· Working knowledge with Governmental Accounting and Auditing
· Working knowledge of the CAPP manual;
· Working knowledge of PeopleSoft or ERP systems;
· Proven experience managing a staff greater than ten;
· Previous experience serving on higher education governance
· Previous work experience in corporate or public accounting, and
The Shared Services Center is located in the beautiful mountain
area of Daleville, Virginia.
This position is a state classified position.
Salary commensurate with education and work experience. The VCCS
offers competitive compensation along with excellent benefits and opportunity
for career development.
For information on benefit offerings, go to: http://cdn.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Classified-Staff-Benefits.pdf.
To apply for this position, qualified applicants must complete the
online information section and questions, and attach a resume and cover letter
with salary requirements for consideration. http://www.vccs.edu/careers/
Reference, background, and e-Verify checks are required for all
The Virginia Community College System is committed to fostering,
cultivating, and sustaining a culture of diversity and is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The VCCS encourages applications from
women, minorities, veterans, and those with disabilities in our effort to
reflect our diverse society.
We thank you for your interest in the Virginia Community College
Location/Region: Roanoke, VA