Senior Contract Officer
Virginia Community College System, Shared Services Center
Thank you for considering Virginia Community College System in
About Virginia Community
Virginia’s Community Colleges were created more than 50 years ago
to address Virginia’s unmet needs in higher education and workforce training.
With its mission to give everyone the opportunity to learn and develop the
right skills so lives and communities are strengthened, the VCCS works to
provide world class services that foster and expand access to exemplary
learning experiences for all by expanding access, providing affordability,
supporting student success, expanding workforce development training, and
securing resources to achieve its goals.
The Shared Services Center supports the VCCS mission by providing
excellent customer service and effective and efficient administrative services
to the 23 community colleges and the System Office. These services include
functions in the areas of human resources, fiscal services, payroll, and
procurement with the intent to use economies of scale and specialized expertise
to support its customers.
As a service within the SSC, Procurement Operations provides a
unified procurement and contracting process for all 40 campuses of the 23
colleges as well as the System Office. Procurement Operations will consist of a
team of procurement professionals focused on excellence in service, full
regulatory compliance, and continuous improvement in procurement operations.
When fully deployed, the SSC Procurement Operations will be responsible for
spend in excess of $250 million annually.
Under their direct supervisor the Senior Contract Officer (SPO)
procures a wide variety of goods and services for the 23 VCCS colleges, the
System Office and the Shared Services Center.
The position also:
- Solicits and issues contracts for goods and services as needed by
the SSC customers utilizing a variety of complex procurement methods.
- Manages a portfolio of term contracts for use by the SSC customers
(potentially including other public bodies).
- Analyzes market data to make appropriate sourcing decisions.
- Ensures that all purchases are performed accurately and timely and
in accordance with applicable VCCS and state policies and applicable laws.
- Employs best business practices to continuously improve
performance, compliance, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Extensive expertise in making sourcing decisions for complex
procurement of supplies, equipment, and professional and non-professional
services, including the ability to analyze market data, exercise sound
judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, solve
problems, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and comprehend highly complex
solicitation and contract documents, including the ability to interpret
procurement-related law and policies, apply that knowledge, and as needed
participate in the development of related policies and procedures.
- Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and
achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional and professional
customer service to diverse internaland external customers and suppliers.
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
with matrix reporting relationships.
- Proficient written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient knowledge and experience using an electronic
procurement system, MS Office productsand Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Multiple years of complex procurement experience.
- Current Virginia Contracting Officer (VCO) certification or
ability to obtain Virginia ContractingAssociate (VCA) certification within one
year of hire and VCO within two years; see https://vip.dgs.virginia.gov/
for more information on VCA & VCO certifications.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent
education and experience.
- Knowledge of governmental procurement principles and ability to
follow procurement policy andstandard operating procedures.
- Expertise in interpreting legal agreements and modifying for
- Working knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia (VPPA, APSPM, etc.)
& VCCS procurementpolicies.
- Working knowledge of eVA (state procurement system).?Working
knowledge with AIS/PeopleSoft functionality.
- Professional procurement certification(s):VCO, CPPO, CPPB, CPM or
other nationally recognizedprocurement/contract management certification.
- Experience in high performance organization using recognized
continuous improvement techniques.
- Procurement experience in higher education and/or state
- Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as
The Shared Services Center is located in the beautiful mountain
area of Daleville, Virginia.
Salary commensurate with education and work experience.
This position is a state classified position. The VCCS offers
competitive compensation along with excellent benefits and opportunity for
career development. For information on benefit offerings, go to: http://cdn.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Classified-Staff-Benefits.pdf
To apply for this position, qualified applicants must complete the
online information section and questions, and attach a resume and cover letter
with salary requirements for consideration, http://www.vccs.edu/careers.
Reference, background, and e-Verify checks are required for all
The Virginia Community College System is committed to fostering, cultivating,
and sustaining a culture of diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer. The VCCS encourages applications from women, minorities,
veterans, and those with disabilities in our effort to reflect our diverse
We thank you for your interest in the Virginia Community College
Location/Region: Daleville, VA